One of the things I found hardest about leaving a corporate job and becoming my own boss was the lack of routine. It didn’t really matter when I did stuff as long as it got done. I could plan my time with clients whenever it suited them and never gave a thought to how that would impact my effectiveness.
Working from home just made matters worse because there was all the distractions going on too – laundry that could just be slipped in, the dishwasher that could be filled or emptied as I made a coffee for myself, and the errands to run while the stores were quiet through the week.
After faffing about this way for a while I realized the error of my ways and figured out a way to address it.
- Now I have core hours for my work. Time when I act as though I am still being employed by an overbearing boss who won’t let me stray.
- I cluster my appointments and networking, so I only need to wear makeup or tidy the house on certain days.
- I plan in chunks of time to work on my business rather than in it.
- I plan in time to get all the bitty things done so they don’t fill my day
- I even planned in some time to take time for myself
These few simple actions changed the way I approached my business and allowed me to get a greater feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment each day.
If you find you are living day to day and not getting on top of things, have a look at your schedule and try even one of these things and see what difference it could make.
If you are struggling to control your time and get the results you know you are capable of then it is time to take action. The Focused Time Management System TM avoids all the clutter and gives you the most important things to focus on to get you back in control of your time and your life. It’s all step by step, not a big mish mash of things. So you do step one of the system, and when you’re done with that, you move on to step two, and so on. So easy! All the tips, tools, and worksheets are handed to you on a silver platter. E mail me at Julie@DevelopmentSolutions.US to arrange a time to chat over your issues and see if I can help